Hey friends! I am excited to share this free chalkboard US map printable today – it is such a fun and personal addition to my home decor. I had wanted a map where my husband and I could keep track of where we have lived, traveled, where we still want to travel and so on with little push pins. You can buy things like this, but I kinda knew exactly what I wanted so I just made it myself! Plus, I made a quick and easy frame for it so read on for the tutorial.
Chalkboard Map Printable
2 thin wood molding strips
Thick double-sided tape
2 Finishing nails or sewing pins
[optional] Cork board
- Have your chalkboard map printed by a printer. [I chose black and white printing at Fedex Office on 32 lb paper, in size 20 inches by 16 inches, it cost about $22.]
- Cut dowel rods to 20″ each [this can be done at the hardware store] and attach one to the top and one to the bottom with thick double-sided scotch tape.
- Paint the tips of push pins in whatever colors you like and let them dry.
- Add a finishing nail or sewing pin to either side of the top frame, leaving 1/4″ to 1/2″ of space.
- Attach twine to both of the nails at the top.
Optional – you can try attaching cork board behind your map, but I tried modpodge and I don’t recommend that. It really wrinkled my map! I actually ended up just hanging my US map on my wall as it is, and I can still put push pins in it just fine without actually sticking them into the wall or cork, etc.
I did three colors of push pins – one for where we’ve been, one for where we want to go, and one for where we’ve lived.
See? So fun. If you like this you can also check out these posts:
Leave a Reply