Oatmeal Scotchies are one of my favorite cookies to make! They are soft oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips and coconut, easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser!
These long summer days are starting to get to me! I know I complain about the heat like.. every single post, but it is SO. HOT. HERE. My little Luke “doesn’t want to go anywhere” primarily because we are all soaking with sweat before we even leave the garage! Anyway, last week we were desperately in need of an activity and the kids didn’t want to leave the house so we decided to make cookies together.
When I bake with the kids we typically go with these No Bake Cookies or our favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, but we were craving something different and Oatmeal Scotchies completely hit the spot! I brought the leftovers to Young Women’s (our church youth group) with me that night and the girls finished them off so fast.
Oatmeal Scotchies are chewy oatmeal cookies with coconut butterscotch chips.
If you’re looking for a fun change, these are full of butterscotch-y delight and I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed! If you’re a butterscotch fan you might also like these No Bake Chex Scotcheroos.
How to Make Oatmeal Scotchies
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, coconut, and oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and set aside. (Photo 1)
- Cream shortening and sugars together. (Photo 2)
- Add egg, water, and vanilla and mix well. (Photos 3 and 4)
- Gradually add dry ingredient mixture to wet mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined. (Below)
- Add butterscotch chips to dough and scoop onto a greased cookie sheet.
Tip: I use this cookie dough scoop for all my cookies and it is the best thing EVER.
Someone gave us the cookie scoop for our wedding and now I gift them all the time! It’s a game changer. Mine is 2″ but you can buy them in three packs, I have the biggest one on my wish list!
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
Holy yum, batman! This recipe makes about 42 two-inch cookies, or 36 if you make them a little bigger.
Oatmeal Scotchies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, coconut, and oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugars together.
- Add egg, water, and vanilla and mix well.
- Gradually add dry ingredient mixture to wet mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add in butterscotch chips.
- Spoon onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.