Make these tumblers with your kids’ handwriting on them. This is a thoughtful personalized gift for grandparents that they are sure to love!
Personalized Gift for Grandparents
Grandparents love DIY gifts, right? And there is no more personal, or thoughtful gift for a grandparent than something that your kid has helped make! Since I love to make DIY Vinyl Tumblers, I decided to put my daughter’s handwriting onto some. She wrote ‘Best Grandma Ever’ and ‘Best Grandpa Ever’ on a piece of paper, and I put it on some stainless steel cups for our grandparents. They all love these cups – it was a total win!
In addition, I printed Grandma and Grandpa Questionnaires and helped my kids fill those out too. Check out our other Mother’s Day ideas and Father’s Day ideas too.
*This post contains affiliate links.
What I used for to make this gift
- Green stainless steel tumbler
- White stainless steel tumbler
- White permanent vinyl
- Gold permanent vinyl
I used my Cricut Maker and premium permanent vinyl for this project. We love this vinyl! I use it for tumblers, outdoor projects and home decor. It stays on forever – even after being put through the dishwasher over and over!
How to Turn Handwriting into a Cut File
I easily converted my kids handwriting into a cut file using photoshop elements. I have written a step-by-step tutorial for how to do this at the bottom of the post!
- Have your kid use a black marker to write a message on white paper.
- Upload the image and remove the background and any excess marks using photoshop elements or similar software.
- Upload the file to Cricut Design Space.
- Next, size the image to fit on your tumbler (or any blank item you are personalizing) cut the vinyl, and apply it.
We have a detailed tutorial for How to Make Vinyl Decals for Tumblers if you’re not sure how to do that.
If you want to cut the floral design that I put on the Grandma tumbler, click here to open the design in Cricut Design Space.
How much do you love these personalized gifts for grandparents? You might like some of our other Cricut gifts – like this ‘Grandmas Never Run Out of Hugs and Cookies’ t-shirt and Grandma sweatshirt!
Are you using this tutorial? We would love it if you could leave us a comment and positive review! They mean a lot to us.
DIY Grandma and Grandpa Tumblers with Kids Handwriting
- Photoshop Elements (or similar design software)
- Cricut Design Space
- Black marker bold is better
- White paper
- Have your child use a black marker to write a phrase, such as 'best grandpa ever,' on white paper and take a photo of it with your phone or camera.
- Open the photo in Photoshop Elements or similar design software. Use the magic wand tool to remove the background.
- Use the magic wand and the erase tool to remove all of the background from inside the letters and to clean up the image so that only the letters are left. Save the file to your computer in PNG format.
- Upload the PNG file to an SVG converter site (I have used SVGCreator.com) then download the converted file. [If you use Cricut design space, you can skip this step.]
- Upload your PNG or SVG file to Cricut Design Space software. Select 'simple.'
- On the next screen, make sure to choose 'cut file' on the left, NOT print then cut.
- Open the uploaded design in a new canvas. The design is now ready to be used for all of your personalizing projects!
I hope this tutorial helps you make some awesome grandparent gifts!
The link for your favorite vinyl isn’t love anymore. Can you share it again?? I really want to try this idea and would love to try a new vinyl. Thanks!!
Thanks for letting me know! It’s Cricut Premium Permanent Vinyl. I fixed it in the post, but here is the link for you. http://cricut.pxf.io/7mZ6XV
What an awesome idea. Wish I had my Cricut machine when my boys were younger to do this.