Chocolate Chess Pie is a decadent, delicious pie that is super easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. This is our family's favorite pie for Thanksgiving!
A few years ago, my Sister-in-Law from Alabama made Chocolate Chess Pie. I fell in love at first bite. Ever since, I've made this pie for holidays like Thanksgiving, and for my husband's birthday multiple times.
What is Chocolate Chess Pie?
It's a rich, custard-like pie made with simple ingredients; eggs, butter and sugar. The pie is soft and creamy on the inside, and has a thin, crispy or crackly top after baking.
Chocolate Chess Pie is a variation of Chess Pie, which is a southern staple!
*This post contains affiliate links.
Table of contents
How to Make Chocolate Chess Pie
Prepare pie crust in a pie dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. (Photo 1)
- Add melted butter, evaporated milk into the bowl next and beat on high speed. Add vanilla and eggs and beat for 2-3 more minutes until light. (Photo 2)
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until it is cooked through. The inside will be very soft, but the top should be crackly like the picture below.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting into it.
Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting into it.
How to Store
Chocolate Chess Pie is best kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The pie can safely be kept at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
How to Serve Chocolate Chess Pie
Carefully cut pie into slices.
Serve pie at room temperature topped with whipped cream or a la mode.
If you like this recipe, we would love if you'd leave a comment and give it a positive review!
Chocolate Chess Pie
- pie dish
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt together. Pour butter and evaporated milk into sugar and cocoa mixture and beat on high speed.
- Add vanilla and eggs. With mixer speed on high speed, mix for approximately 2-3 minutes to lighten.
- Pour mixture into 9 inch unbaked pie shell and bake for about 55 minutes. The center of the pie will be a bit soft.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing. The pie will continue to set as it cools.