You will love this homemade sugar cookie recipe with cream cheese frosting! These are soft sugar cookies and can be cut out to any shape.
*This post contains affiliate links.
You guys, these are the best SOFT sugar cookies ever. You are not going to need any other homemade sugar cookie recipe after trying these - trust me. Top them with cream cheese frosting and they are straight out of heaven. If you still want to browse, consider making these Chocolate Sugar Cookies, Lemon Sugar Cookies or our super fun Tie Dye Sugar Cookies. Find all of our Cookie recipes here!
How to Make Homemade Sugar Cookies
- To a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Beat with hand mixer until well-mixed.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients slowly and mix until just incorporated.
Cover dough and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Once the dough is chilled it's time to roll out the dough, cut out cookies and bake!
Cut Out Sugar Cookies
We have this set of cookie cutters. They were a wedding gift and we have used them SO much over the last 10 years, they're the best!
- Roll dough into one big ball and place it on a clean, floured surface.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin to ½" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out sugar cookies.
- Move cut out cookies to a cookie sheet, gather the scrap dough up into a ball and repeat the process until you have used all of the dough.
Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Watch the first batch carefully and don't let them brown at all. They should be fully cooked but still light in color.
Remove cookies to a cooling rack and repeat until all cookies are baked.
Frost and Decorate Cookies
Make cream cheese frosting (recipe below) and frost cookies once they are fully cooled.
Add sprinkles or other embellishments if you are feeling festive!
My mouth is watering just looking at these! These homemade sugar cookies make perfect Christmas cookies, and we always make them around Halloween and Valentine's Day too!
If you make these Homemade Sugar Cookies, we would love if you could leave a comment and a positive review! They mean a lot to us!
Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing Bowls
- Cookie Sheets
Soft Sugar Cookies
Soft Sugar Cookies
- Beat sugar, shortening, butter, eggs and vanilla with a hand mixer.
- Add sour cream and beat well.
- Mix dry ingredients together and gradually add into wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll cookie dough out onto a clean, floured surface to ½" thick.
- Cut dough into shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until just done.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whip sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Add cream cheese and a dash of salt. Mix.
- Add ½ cup milk alternating and powdered sugar, then beat. Add more milk or more sugar until you have desired consistency.
- Add food coloring (optional.)
- Frost cookies after they are fully cooled.