Did someone say cake for breakfast? I say YES PLEASE! It is no wonder to me that everyone loves this easy classic coffee cake recipe, there is literally nothing not to love about it! Super quick and easy to throw together, and it is yummy on it’s own with a glass of milk or cup of coffee, or as a side dish to any bigger breakfast or brunch get together! Trust me when I say, you need this recipe in your life!
Super rich and moist, this coffee cake has just the right cinnamon topping/cake ratio! It saves great too! That is, if you can manage not to eat the whole pan in one sitting! When we have leftovers we save them for breakfast the next day and it is just as delicious on day two! I’d tell you about day three but we’ve never made it that far….
Easy Classic Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine all topping ingredients and mix with a fork until the texture of coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut your butter into your flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Crack an egg into a measuring cup and add milk to fill up to 1 cup. Pour into crumb mixture. Add vanilla too and mix until just moistened.
- Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with streusel topping. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
Anyone else feeling the sudden urge to schedule a brunch date with friends?!