Mini Chocolate Pies are delicious, decadent and adorable. Plus, they are SIMPLE to make in under an hour.
Chocolate Chess Pie is one of my favorite desserts of all time. Taking that recipe and adapting to make mini pies is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser! They are super easy to make but look impressive with little scalloped pie crusts.
Mini Chocolate Pie
We like to use store-bought pie crusts to make this recipe. There is a time and place for homemade pie crusts, but as busy mamas with toddlers, Pillsbury is our friend. You can use homemade pie crust if you prefer to!
*This post contains affiliate links.
What you Need to Make Miniature Pies in a Muffin Tin
Mini Chocolate Pie Recipe Ingredients
- Two Pie Crusts
- Cocoa Butter
- Evaporated Milk
How to Make Mini Pies in Cupcake Tin
First, you need to thaw pie crust, if you're using frozen. Ideally the pie crust should be thawed but still cold. Not room temperature.
Cut Out the Pie Crust
Roll the pie crust out on a clean surface, and use the cookie cutter to cut mini pie crusts out.
Put each pie crust into a greased muffin pan. Spread each crust with an egg wash, then add pie filling.
Bake and Serve
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes and allow mini pies to cool completely.
Top pies with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder for presentation!
Pros and Cons
- Mini Pies are adorable and make perfect finger foods, great for parties or gatherings!
- With the little ones, pie crust to filling ratio is not the same as a regular sized pie.
Chocolate Pudding Mini Pies FAQ's
Below are a few of our frequently asked questions about these mini chocolate pies.
Can you convert any pie recipe into mini pies?
Any pie recipe should be able to be made smaller - just watch them closely in the oven so as not to overcook!
What are mini chocolate chess pies?
Mini chocolate chess pies are small, single-serving pies that are a variation of the classic chess pie.
Can I use store-bought pie crusts for mini chocolate chess pies?
Yes, you can use store-bought pie crusts or make your own pastry crust from scratch.
Can I make mini chocolate chess pies ahead of time?
Yes, you can make mini chocolate chess pies ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. They can also be refrigerated for longer storage. However, they are best enjoyed fresh or at room temperature.
Can I freeze mini chocolate chess pies?
Yes, you can freeze mini chocolate chess pies for longer storage. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, or place them in an airtight container before freezing. Thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.
If you try this recipe, we'd love if you would leave us a comment and positive review - let us know what you think!
Mini Chocolate Pies
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
Scalloped Mini Pie Crust
- Thaw pie crusts until they are no longer frozen but not room temperature.
- Use a scalloped cookie cutter to cut pie crust into smaller pieces.
- Put each small mini pie crust into a greased muffin pan.
- Dip a silicone brush into lightly beaten eggs and spread it over each mini pie crust.
Chocolate Chess Pie Filling
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt together. Pour butter and evaporated milk into sugar and cocoa mixture and beat on high speed.
- Add vanilla and eggs. With mixer speed on high speed, mix for approximately 2-3 minutes to lighten.
- Pour ⅛ cup of the pie filling into each pie crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top looks crackly.
- Allow pies to cool before removing each mini pie carefully out of the muffin tin.