Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs is not your ordinary holiday side! Everyone loves this delicious, non-traditional take on a classic!
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays! Every year I love the holidays and even more, I love cooking for the holidays. I have some classic recipes that I make again and again, and some non-traditional sides too. This Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs makes an appearance on my table quite frequently!
Some of my favorite veggie side dishes are Green Bean Casserole or Zucchini with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Crispy Onions. This year I think I am even going to mix it up and throw corn and zucchini into my Stuffing!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
While I do love traditional Sweet Potato Casseroles with Marshmallows, sometimes I prefer my sweet potatoes cooked in a savory way! I love the combination of the whipped potatoes with the crunchy sage breadcrumbs, and have been making it year after year.
How to Make Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Sour Cream
Sage Breadcrumbs Ingredients
- Sourdough or French Bread
- Sage Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Sage Breadcrumbs:
Remove crust from bread and chop into small cubes.
Let the cubes of bread dry out for a few hours or overnight.
Melt 4 tbsp. of butter, and add the bread cubes to the melted butter.
Add chopped sage leaves and stir well to mix.
What are your favorite parts of the holidays? Mine is definitely sitting down to a great meal with loved ones! I hope you try this delicious Sweet Potato Casserole recipe and love it as much as we do!
If you try this recipe, we'd love if you would leave a comment and positive review!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop peeled potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Add to a large pot and cover with water. Add 1 tsp. salt to the water. Put pot on high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium and let cook until fork tender. When finished, drain and return to the pot.
- While potatoes cook, remove crust from bread and chop into small cubes. Melt 4 tbsp. of the butter, and add the bread cubes to the melted butter. Add half the sage leaves and stir well to mix.
- Add the milk and remaining butter to the pot. Using a hand held mixer, blend the mixture well until light and whipped. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a casserole dish and top with breadcubes. Put in the preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes, or until bread cubes are golden brown. If cubes get too brown, tent with foil.
- Remove from oven and garnish with remaining sage. Serve immediately.
Recipe shared by Amanda from Old House to New Home
This recipe was originally published in November 2017 and has been updated with new details and information.