Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs is not your ordinary holiday side dish! Want a change from the marshmallow topped classic? Then try this take on the classic sweet potato casserole!
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays! Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a recipe that will definitely be on my holiday table this year! I love the holidays and even more, I love cooking for the holidays. I have some classic recipes that I make again and again, and this Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs makes an appearance on my table quite frequently!
I have a confession for you. I don’t love the super sweet, marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole. I actually prefer my sweet potatoes cooked in a savory preparation. I searched and searched for a recipe that was more to my liking, and then saw this recipe on Everyday Annie . I loved the combination of the whipped potatoes with the crunchy sage breadcrumbs, and have been making it ever since. I have adapted the original recipe a few times over the years and think I have finally perfected it.
I don’t know about you, but during the holidays, the side dishes steal the show for me. I am not one for turkey or ham, but instead, fill up on the side dishes. Some of my favorite veggie side dishes are green beans in tomato sauce, or zucchini with sun-dried tomatoes and crispy onions . This year I think I am even going to mix it up and throw corn and zucchini into my stuffing!
What are your favorite parts of the holidays? Mine is definitely sitting down to a great meal with loved ones! I hope you try this delicious sweet potato recipe and love it as much as we do!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Sage Breadcrumbs
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled
- 2 large sized yukon gold potatoes peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tbsp. butter divided
- 1 heaping tbsp sour cream
- 4 slices sour dough or french bread day old
- 6 fresh sage leaves diced
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop peeled potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Add to a large pot and cover with water. Add 1 tsp. salt to the water. Put pot on high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium and let cook until fork tender. When finished, drain and return to the pot.
- While potatoes cook, remove crust from bread and chop into small cubes. Melt 4 tbsp. of the butter, and add the bread cubes to the melted butter. Add half the sage leaves and stir well to mix.
- Add the milk and remaining butter to the pot. Using a hand held mixer, blend the mixture well until light and whipped. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a casserole dish and top with breadcubes. Put in the preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes, or until bread cubes are golden brown. If cubes get too brown, tent with foil.
- Remove from oven and garnish with remaining sage. Serve immediately.