You will love this easy, delicious sweet potato casserole recipe using canned yams and marshmallows!
From the time I was a little girl the dish I looked forward to most at Thanksgiving dinner was this sweet potato casserole! More like a dessert, the sweet decadence of this recipe is something I looked forward to all year!
I feel like this sweet yam casserole is the perfect complement to all the turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing that typically accompany Thanksgiving dinners! Plus, even though it’s sweet the yams and apples are packed with nutrients and you really don’t have to feel too bad eating this one! You ready for the easy recipe?!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Canned Yams
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 16 oz canned yams drained
- 3 green apples peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cups cold water
- mini marshmallows
- Put drained yams, and peeled and sliced apples in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, salt, butter and boiling water in a medium sauce pan and melt together.
- In separate cup combine cornstarch and cold water until well combined and then add to the sugar mixture. Cook on medium high heat until clear and bubbly. Pour caramel mixture over yams and apples and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle yam casserole with cinnamon, nutmeg and marshmallows and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and golden brown.
Mmmm. I mean the marshmallows on top are just too much goodness!
Is it Thanksgiving yet?! I need to invite friends for dinner so I can make this yummy casserole sooner!
Check out our other amazing Thanksgiving side dish recipes: