Hello Pretty Providence readers! I am Bethany from Whistle and Ivy, and I am so excited to share this Super Chunky Oval Rug Crochet Pattern with you today. This pattern is fun and simple! I don’t know about you, but I love working with chunky yarn. It makes for some super quick projects with a beautiful, bulky texture. The colors in the rug are so pretty! This would be a super cute accessory to a baby room, or a comfy and colorful bathroom rug as well.
Although the pattern is simple, I do change the type of stitches for a few of the rows, and the reason for this is to maximize the yarn length, and avoid buying more than you need. Bulkier yarn comes with less yardage then medium weight yarn, so when I didn’t have enough to crochet the full round in a larger stitch, I made the last round of a certain color in a smaller stitch.
Super Chunky Oval Rug
What you need:
-Super Bulky Weight Yarn (about 132 yards)
-Size P Hook
Abbreviations: (American Terms)
St – Stitch
Sc – Single Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Sl St- Slip Stitch
* * – repeat the instructions in between the asterisks the indicated number of times
Note: To make the color changes more seamless, finish the last stitch of the round with the color you intend to start. For instance, if your last stitch was a dc, you will work all the steps of a dc stitch, but finish the stitch by grabbing your second color and pulling it through for the last step, then join with a sl st using 2nd color, which you are now using. This in optional, but definitely makes the seam look nicer.
Gauge is not really important, but my finished rug was about 23″ x 17″
Start with 1st color and begin with a ch 10. Ch 2 (1) at the beginning of the round, and the slip stitch at the end do not count in the row count.
1. Dc 5 in 3rd ch from hook. Dc 6. Dc 5 in last ch. Working on opposite side of ch: Dc 6. Join with first dc with a sl st. (22 sts)
2. Ch 2. Work 2 dc in same st. Work 2 dc in the next 4 sts. Dc 6. Work 2 dc in the next 5 sts. Dc 6. Join with a sl st. (32 sts)
3. Ch 2. Dc in same st. 2 dc in next st. *Dc, 2 dc in next st* work 4 times. Dc 6. *Dc, 2 dc in next st* work 5 times. Dc 6. Join with sl st. (42 sts)
4. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc in next st. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 2, 2 hdc in next st* work 4 times. Hdc 6. *Hdc 2, 2 hdc in next st* work 5 times. Hdc 6. Join with sl st. (52 sts)
Join 2nd color (see note for a nicer seam)
5. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 3, 2 hdc in next st* work 4 times. Hdc 6. *Hdc 3, 2 hdc in next st* work 5 times. Hdc 6. Join with sl st. (62 sts)
6. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 3. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 4, 2 hdc in next st* work 4 times. Hdc 6. *Hdc 4, 2 hdc in next st* work 5 times. Hdc 6. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
7. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 4. 2 sc in next st. *Sc 5, 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 6. *Sc 5, 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Sc 6. Join with sl st. (82 sts)
Join 3rd color
8. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 5. 2 dc in next st. *Dc 6, 2 dc in next st* work 4 times. Dc 6. *Dc 6, 2 dc in next st* work 5 times. Dc 6. Join with sl st. (92 sts)
9. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 6. 2 sc in next st. *Sc 7, 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Dc 6. *Sc 7, 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Dc 6. Join with sl st. (102 sts)
From here you can weave in your ends and tie off, or you can keep going and make your rug as large as you would like! Keep in mind, each row will take more yarn than the previous row, so calculate that in when buying your yarn colors.
I hope your toes enjoy your new fabulously cozy Super Chunky Oval Rug!
For more crochet awesomeness, subscribe to Whistle and Ivy here, and find me on Facebook and Instagram.
What Brand of yarn was used, please? Also curious what material the yarn is made of. Thanks!
Hey Maryann, I’m sorry, this was written by a previous contributor and we don’t know what brand of yarn was used or what material it was. I wish we could be more helpful!
I want to make this rung larger so how do I do so. Do I repeat certain rows?
debbie if you wanted to keep going you would have to increase each round just as each previous round. row 9 left off with 7 sc and 2 in the same stitch. round 10 would be 8sc and 2 in the same. round 11 would be 9 sc and 2 in the same. just look back at round 9 and each round you add replace the numbers with one plus it. you only increase around the curve. the straight edge is always the same. hope this helps.
I really want to MAKe this crocheted rug, however I need a visual since I can’t read the pattern due to dyslexia. There are lot if ppl like me.
Hey Jeanna! I wish we could help you out with a visual tutorial. Have you searched for this type of thing on YouTube?
I need help I started crocheting this rug with regular yarn, but when I get passed row 4 it starts curling up what can I do to make it lay flat?