Hey everyone! Amanda here from Old House to New Home sharing a delicious and easy summer dessert recipe. The days (and the nights!) are still so hot, but there is no way I am turning on the oven to bake. We don’t have central air in our house, so once this type of weather hits, we are strictly grillers in our house! That means I will grill anything…seriously, anything!
Our Latest Videos
I have used both a bar of angel food cake and the traditional ring of angel food cake, and both work equally as well on the grill. You could substitute pound cake, too if you felt so inclined! We went with the traditional angel food cake topping of strawberries, but you could add any in season fruit you like! I actually threw a peach on the grill with mine and it was great! The juices come out of the fruit and make such a great syrupy topping! Without any additional calories!
Grilled Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1 pint strawberries washed, destemmed and cut in half
- 1 premade angel food cake cut into desired amount of slices
- 1 tsp sugar
- whipped topping
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Cover a grill safe pan with foil and then put your strawberries on the foil. Sprinkle with the sugar. Stir and then make sure you have an even layer of strawberries. Cook for 3 minutes before adding the cake.
- Spray your grill with non-stick spray (coconut oil grill spray gives it a great taste!) and then put one side down of your cake slices onto the grill. Keep a close eye on them, turning to all sides about every 2 minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Remove from the grill.
- Once strawberries have cooked about 5-8 minutes, remove from the grill. They should be soft and be releasing their juices.
- Pour strawberries over each piece and then top with whipped topping. Enjoy!