I am so excited to share today’s recipe with you guys! My Grandma Kresge is a brilliant cook. We are talking, a wizard in the kitchen. I swear, she could make dog food taste gourmet. Anyway, one of her best kitchen skills is kicking up boring store bought boxes and mixes. In this semi-homemade cornbread recipe, she taught me how to turn any boring old cornbread package into the best dang cornbread you have ever had. The great thing about starting with a mix from the store is that it takes a lot of the work out of the process. You can whip this up in no time, so you’ll have plenty of time left to soak in everyone’s praise and happy compliments for the rest of the night! ;)
Alright, you ready for this super not-so-secret-anymore recipe?
Grandma’s Semi-Homemade Cornbread
- 1 8.5 Cornbread mix I use Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- ingredients listed on Cornbread mix package
- 1 extra egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 can creamed corn
- Follow the directions on cornbread package, but cut the liquid (either water or milk) in half.
- Add one extra egg, 1/4 cup of oil and a can of creamed corn. Mix well.
- Bake as directed, but add 5-10 minutes onto bake time. You will know when the cornbread is done because the top will be golden brown and "cracking".
^^^Here is what your cornbread will look like right when it comes out of the oven! It should be a light golden brown, and cracking a bit on top. Trust me, the inside will still be all moist deliciousness!
^^^Here is what our dinner looked like (plus a small green salad, not pictured, haha)! We love this cornbread with hearty comfort food meals, soups or chilis or even just cornbread and salad. It really is so versatile!
Not to mention, it is amazing with a glass of milk and some honey butter as dessert the next day! I like to re-heat mine in the microwave for 7-10 seconds. Well, what are you waiting for? The best cornbread ever is calling your name!