Play this Halloween categories game with fun and spooky Scattergories lists for your next game night!
Hello friends! One of our favorite games to play with our family is Categories (AKA Scattergories.) Well, I thought it would be really fun to make a Halloween version of the categories game. These Scattergories lists are full of spooky prompts and will definitely add to the fun for Halloween game nights! We also have other holiday Scattergories lists. You could print Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentine's Day categories lists right now as well!
*This post contains affiliate links.
Halloween Categories Game
What is the categories game?
Categories is a creative-thinking word game where players try to list words that fit into particular categories, all starting with the same letter, in an allotted amount of time. The objective is to come up with the most unique answers that no one else has written down.
I had a lot of fun coming up with the Halloween Scattergories lists for this game!
How to set up the game
- Print the game (download instructions can be found below.)
- Cut the letters of the alphabet out with a paper cutter or scissors.
- Give each player their own answer sheet. For the categories sheets, each person can have their own, or you can share - just as long as everyone can see it clearly.
How to Play
- You choose a letter of the alphabet at random and set a timer. During the three minutes, each player writes down something that fits in the corresponding category found on the list.
- For example, if the letter is 'L' and the first category on the list is 'famous actresses' I might write 'Lucille Ball.'
- Players go down the categories sheets and write a new answer on their answer sheet for each number, all starting with that same letter.
- If a player can't think of anything, they can skip and move on to the next line. If there's time, they can go back to skipped categories before the 3 minutes is up.
Pro tip: answers with alliteration get you extra points. Using the actress example, if you answer 'Lucy Liu' you get two points for that category instead of one!
How to get the free Halloween Scattergories lists
Download our Halloween categories game by filling out the form below, then head to your email inbox. Once you confirm your subscription, you will receive the download.
We love offering printables at no cost to you. This printable is free for personal use only. This is copyrighted. Do not share the PDF file. Instead, please send the link to this blog post to friends or family who would also like to print it!
I have this laser printer (totally worth it if you print a lot. I never have to replace the ink!)
We use a paper cutter like this one to cut the Scattergories lists. Even my little kids can use it!
If you play this game we'd love it if you could leave a comment and a positive review! They mean a lot to us!
Halloween Categories Game
- Printer (color preferred, but not required)
- Paper Cutter (optional)
- White printer paper
How to Print Game
- In the form found above, enter your email address, and subscribe to our newsletter.
- Check your email. Confirm your subscription, the categories game file will open.
- Save the file to your computer or print it right away.
How to Play
- Cut out the alphabet squares and put them into a bowl.
- Have one player pick a letter out of the bowl. This is the letter you wil use for the round.
- Set a timer for three minutes. Each player will fill out their game cards as much as they can within the time limit.
- When the timer goes off, go around the table and have each player share what they have written for category 1.
- Compare answers. If any players have written the same answer, both players cross it out. All unique answers count for one point.
- Repeat for each category (there are 12.)
- At the end of each round, tally up how many points each player has. Repeat until you have played all four scattergories lists.