You know how some foods are just so nostalgic for some reason?! This classic pumpkin roll cake is one of those for me. In my mind it is just the epitome of fall and family togetherness! We would always get so excited whenever my mom made it, and it seemed like it disappeared in a blink.. it’s that good! The funny thing is, it took me forever of being on my own to attempt making one by myself! Which is really weird for someone who loves baking and pumpkin roll cakes as much as I do! I think something about the rolling just had me subconsciously intimidated?! Needless to say, I’m so glad I got over my fear because you guys, it is so easy to do!
Not to mention… so freaking delicious! I also love bringing this to parties and get togethers because it definitely feels fancy and it is beautiful to display!
Just to help demonstrate how truly easy it is to make, I put together a little picture tutorial to go with the instructions, for those of you who are visual learners like me! You ready?!
Classic Pumpkin Roll Cake
For the Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to spread on the towel
For the Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- additional powdered sugar for garnish
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a jelly roll pan, then line with wax paper and grease and flour your wax paper.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl or mixer until it begins to thicken. Then beat in pumpkin puree.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients and stir to combine. Spread evenly into your jelly roll pan and top with nuts, if desired.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the top of your cake bounces back up when touched. While cake is baking spread powdered sugar generously over a clean dry dish towel (you may need more than 1/4 cup to ensure cake doesn't stick to the towel). When cake is done, immediately turn onto your powdered sugar towel. Gently peel off the wax paper backing and roll up the cake and towel together. Set aside to cool.
For the Filling
- Beat together all ingredients until smooth.
- When cake is mostly cool (you just don't want it hot enough to melt the frosting, but it can still be a little warm) carefully unroll cake and cover evenly with cream cheese filling. Gently re-roll your cake. Wrap rolled cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least an hour).
- Use a powdered sugar shaker to garnish your cake before serving, if desired.
I promise you, if I can make it so can you, and this pumpkin roll cake is DEFINITELY worth making! I hope you guys love it as much as we do! Happy fall friends!