If you’ve ever wondered how to make banana cake at home, this easy banana cake recipe with vanilla glaze is perfection!
If you’ve never had banana cake before it is basically like banana bread, in cake form, with glaze. AKA: Heaven. This recipe, made with sour cream is moist and delicious and I can guarantee you’ll never go looking for another one after trying this!
One of my favorite comfort foods, and you can serve it as dessert or eat it for breakfast! Don’t we all love desserts that double as breakfasts? Doughnuts, coffee cake, muffins… enough said. One of the best things about this easy recipe is that it gets even better with time. So, if you can manage to save any, you can wrap it up and eat it for days and it will taste just as delicious as it did on the first day.
What is the difference between banana cake and banana bread?
The answer is they are very similar! My banana cake is made with sour cream which takes the flavor and consistency to the next level. Also, when I make this cake I typically add a glaze or frosting that banana bread doesn’t have. Also, this recipe makes a lot more! We prefer making banana cake in our house.
Can you freeze banana cake?
Yes! But it needs to be frozen before topping with the glaze. Just wrap your cake tightly in saran wrap once it is fully cooled and it will save in the freezer for up to three months.
How long does banana cake last?
This cake will keep up to a week and does not need to be refrigerated, but can be if that is what you prefer!
How to Make Banana Cake at home:
Mix dry ingredients, then beat in butter and the rest of the wet ingredients.
Pour batter into bundt cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 65-75 minutes.
While cake is in the oven, mix glaze ingredients.
After the cake is cooled, pour glaze over the top.
Mmm. That glaze though.
My mouth is watering just thinking about this easy banana cake made with sour cream!
You ready for this life changing banana recipe?!
The Perfect Banana Cake with Vanilla Glaze
For the Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and generously butter your bundt pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat your butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy, then add in your vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Dump in your bananas and mix slowly until combined. Add dry ingredients a little at a time until incorporated. Add Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Tap your pan on the counter a few times to help the batter settle.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- If cake begins to brown to quickly cover halfway through with a loose foil tent.
- When cake is done, transfer to a cooling rack.
For the Icing
- Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, adding milk a little at a time until glaze is thin enough to drizzle on cooled cake.
- Place directly on rack.
Later guys! I’m off to buy some bananas ;).
This recipe was originally published in November of 2015 and has been updated in 2019.