These Banana Coconut Muffins are delicious and simple! Coconut sugar and applesauce makes muffins something you can feel a little less guilty about!
Hi friends! It’s Katie from Made to be a Momma. I am so excited to be back with girls Jessica and Sarah ( who are also some of my real life besties)bringing you a delicious recipe each month! To start off the year, I wanted to share these delicious banana coconut muffins! I always seem to have ripe bananas laying around and I decided to add one of our favorite flavors…coconut.
I used coconut sugar and unsweetened applesauce to make these a tad bit healthier. The flavor of coconut in these can’t be beat and the secret is a bit of coconut extract, you can certainly replace it with vanilla extract but I can’t promise you will have the same pop of coconut flavor. If you don’t have coconut sugar you can also replace it with regular table sugar.
Before I baked these muffins I topped them with some sweetened coconut. The coconut toasted a bit in the oven but if you would rather a bit more crunch you can toast the coconut slightly before topping them on the batter.
Banana Coconut Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or table sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 TBSP shredded sweetened coconut
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together bananas, vegetable oil, unsweetened applesauce, sugar, egg, and coconut extract in a large bowl until well combined. Mix in flour mixture until just moistened
- Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These muffins are such a great breakfast muffin, dinner muffin, or a great treat for the kids after school. For more muffin ideas you should check out these cinnamon applesauce muffins!