Are you loving this fall weather?! Summer used to be my favorite season but I think fall might just take it this year. There’s nothing better than putting on a hoodie, some boots and going for a walk in the mountains with the changing leaves. My boys favorite fall activity (aside from Halloween of course) is going to the apple orchard by our house and picking apples. They also have fallen in love with the caramel apples there.
These caramel apple cake pops were so easy to make and they’re pretty easy to devour too. I love the combination of moist cake covered with chocolate and salted caramel. I had planned on using melting caramels for these but that still left me with the dilemma of sticky caramel. When I was at the store looking for an alternative I found salted caramel baking chips in with the chocolate chips and they worked out perfect. The consistency after they melted was just like the melting chocolate and they dried super quick; which was a good thing with two boys who were dying to try them!
Caramel Apple Cake Pops
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 Tbsp frosting I used vanilla but you can use any flavor
- 1 bag green melting chocolates
- 1 cup salted caramel baking chips
- canola oil optional
- caramel apple sticks or cake pop sticks
- Bake cake according to package directions.
- Let cake cool and then cut off any golden brown parts (the top layer). I do this because I've found that the top layer doesn't stick together as well as the rest of the cake.
- Crumble remaining cake in a large bowl.
- Add in 3 Tbsp frosting and stir until cake mix becomes the consistency of cookie dough.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or your hands) roll cake mix into balls.
- Melt 1/4 cup green melting chocolates in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Dip tips of sticks into chocolate and then insert into cake ball.
- Let cake pops freeze for 20 minutes.
- Melt remaining green chocolate melts in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Add in 1 tsp of canola oil at a time after chocolate is completely melted until it is runny. (I used 2 tsp)
- Pour melted chocolate into a cup and dip cake balls entirely into chocolate.
- Tap stick on the top of the glass until excess chocolate has all dripped off.
- Place stick in a Styrofoam form to dry.
- Once chocolate has melted, melt caramel baking chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Add 1 tsp of canola oil after caramel in completely melted so that it's runny.
- Dip cake balls about 1/2 way down into caramel.
- Twist cake pops until excess caramel drips off.
- Place cake pops back in Styrofoam form to dry.
- Store at room temperature.
I used store bought everything for this recipe, but you could easily substitute your favorite homemade cake and frosting recipes. So not only was this recipe easy to make but it was affordable too. I spent about the same amount of money it would have cost me to buy one caramel apple but made 3 dozen cake pops. Have you ever made cake pops? What’s your favorite flavor combo?
If you liked these cake pops check out these other fall inspired recipes: