You can’t please everyone, unless you are Carmelitas! These chocolate caramel oatmeal bars are my absolute favorite dessert of all time! Make these for any gathering and watch how fast they disappear!
If you haven’t yet experienced the ooey gooey goodness of Carmelitas let me be the first to tell you OH. MY. GOSH. These babies have officially surpassed my go-to Chocolate Cake and Magic Cookie Bars to become my all-time favorite dessert. I didn’t make them for a long time and had almost forgotten how good they are.
My advice is, if you are making these for a big gathering, make two pans!
Everyone loves these Carmelitas. Recently we had a family party and my mom made them, but my siblings and I made an executive decision to hide the whole platter. We had no trouble finishing it off by ourselves once the crowd had dispersed.
How to Make Carmelitas
Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix. Add melted butter and mix well. Press half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×9 baking dish. (Photos 1 and 2)
Unwrap caramels and put them into a microwave-safe bowl. Add heavy whipping cream to the bowl of caramels, and melt for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until completely melted. (Photos 3 and 4)
Remove the bottom layer from the oven and sprinkle milk chocolate chips over the top of it. Pour caramel over that.
For the topping, take the rest of the oatmeal mixture and make little pancakes with it, putting them over the top of the caramel layer until it’s completely covered. Softly pat crumbs down with a silicone spatula.
Bake for 12-15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before trying to cut.
Note: These can take a few hours to cool. Pop the dish in the fridge (once they’ve cooled to at least room temp) to speed up the process.
You’re going to want a glass of milk with these. Now comes the hardest part, not eating the ENTIRE pan by yourself.
If you’re craving chocolate, you might also consider these S’mores Bars (a no-bake favorite) or Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies! Browse all of our dessert recipes for even more delicious treat ideas! Are you making these Carmelitas? If you do, we’d be so grateful if you comment and rate this recipe for us! It means so much to hear your feedback!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 14 oz bag of caramels unwrapped
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and melted butter to a bowl and mix well.
- Press 1/2 of mixture into a 9×13 pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine caramels and unwhipped whipping cream in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well between, to melt them together.
- When oat crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle the whole bag of milk chocolate chips over the top of it. Then, pour caramel mixture over the chocolate chips.
- Make the rest of the oat mixture into little pancakes by hand in order to spread it as evenly as you can over the top of the caramel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Watch while cooking to be sure you don’t over cook.