I am so excited about my new Christmas wreath that I walked around the house three times the other day, trying to find the best spot in the house for it. I want it to be SEEN. Do you ever do that?! I want it to be inside, because this wreath matches my Christmas tree (I used the same wired ribbon on it) so they’re kind of a pair that need to stick together. I think this wreath would hold up great outside though, too, as long as your door is protected from direct rain, snow or wind!
How to Make a Christmas Wreath
There are so many things you can use to decorate a Christmas wreath. I love to use ornaments in different shapes, sizes and colors. Faux holly berries and mistletoe are some of my favorites, too. I also like to add bows, and faux holly berries or pointsettias. You can either make your own bows out of wired ribbon (like the teal velvet ribbon I used) or buy pre-made bows at the store. Both kinds work great for decorating a wreath!
*this post contains affiliate links
Materials Needed to Make a Christmas Wreath
How to Decorate a Wreath:
- Wrap the wreath form with ribbon or fabric. Secure it with a dot of hot glue here and there.
- Place all the decorations around the wreath and arrange them how you like. Sometimes I re-arrange it four times before I feel like it’s ‘right!’
- Use floral wire to attach your biggest decorations first. You might need to use floral wire AND hot glue for heavy decorations.
- After your big items and greenery/sprays are placed how you like them, add the smaller items like ornaments and faux flowers, using floral wire and then securing with hot glue as needed.
- Let glue cool before hanging the wreath.
Supplies used to make this velvet Christmas wreath:
I got my velvet ribbon from Michaels in the holiday section, same with the gingerbread man and lollipop picks. Some of the ornaments from estate sales, but you can find similar in stores or online. Here are some similar decorations:
More Wreath Making Tips:
What kind of wreath form should I use?
More Christmas Wreath Decorating Ideas:
Candy Cane Christmas Wreath – this is so cute and perfect for classic red and white Christmas decor.
Modern Winter Wreath – You know I love a good embroidery hoop wreath!
This gift card wreath is PERFECT to make someone for Christmas!
Also check out our post full of wreath ideas for every holiday and season!
Are you making any wreaths this year? Grab your girlfriends and have a craft night! It’s so fun and easy to make your own!