Do you want to know how to make cheese sticks like a pro? This homemade mozzarella sticks recipe is super easy and delicious!
I’ve mentioned before that my husband served a two year mission in Budapest, Hungary. In his mission it was tradition to make these homemade mozzarella sticks to celebrate when something exceptionally exciting happened. So, every missionary learned how to make them and he has lots of happy memories associated with these homemade cheese sticks!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Since they obviously aren’t the healthiest thing ever, we usually reserve them for special occasions to keep the tradition alive. Lucky for me, he has making this mozzarella sticks recipe down to a science, so I mostly get to sit back and enjoy!
Today, I am going to share his secrets of how to make the perfect homemade cheese sticks with all of you!
If you love yummy appetizers you will also definitely want to try our homemade guacamole or our healthy veggie dip!
How to Make Cheese Sticks
Following the recipe you will find a process video and step by step photos so you can see for yourself how truly easy it is to make your own fried cheese sticks!
First cut your mozzarella into sticks!
Top Left – Then get out all your supplies and crack your eggs into a small bowl.
Top Right – First dip your mozzarella stick into the water, then into the flour, making sure it is well coated in both.
Bottom Left – After it is coated in flour, dip into the egg wash, then the bread crumbs.
Bottom Right – Fry your stick for one to two minutes, until golden brown but not burned! Let sticks cool for a minute or two and enjoy promptly with marinara sauce!
What are mozzarella sticks made of?
Mozzarella sticks are made of mozzarella cheese cut into strips, breaded and fried!
What should you dip mozzarella sticks in?
We love to dip our mozzarella sticks in our favorite marinara sauce! That being said, pizza sauce and ranch dip are also yummy sauces to dip mozzarella sticks into, or you can be a purist and eat them plain.
What goes with mozzarella sticks?
I like to serve them alongside carrots and celery, chicken wings, and other appetizer like foods and sauces.
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
If you make this recipe and enjoy it we would love for you to leave us a comment and review, they mean so much to us!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- 16 OZ Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Tbs Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 4-5 Cups Vegetable Oil (Enough to fill a saucepan about half full.)
- Pizza or Marinara Sauce for Dipping If desired.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into sticks about 1/4 inch thick.
- Crack your eggs into a bowl. Add milk and beat well to create an egg wash.
- Prepare your work station with a bowl of water, a bowl of flour, your egg wash and a bowl of bread crumbs.
- Take a mozzarella stick and dip it in the water. Then dip it in the flour bowl and make sure it's covered thoroughly. Put your floured stick into the egg wash and make sure its coated nicely. Roll your stick in the bread crumbs.
- Put your oil in your saucepan and heat until 350 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer a good way to know if the oil is ready is to drop a toothpick into the oil should bubble or "fry" around the toothpick.
- Leave stick in for 1-2 minutes, watch closely to ensure they are golden brown but not burned.
- Remove stick and set on a paper towel covered plate to help the excess grease drain off.
- Repeat process for remaining cheese sticks and enjoy!
Mmmm! Homemade cheese sticks really are pretty simple to make and your family and friends will love them! So.. what do you have to celebrate??
P.S. I thought this article about the history of mozzarella sticks was interesting, and you might too.
This post was originally published on May 28th, 2014 and has been updated with new photos, video, and more detailed content.
Are these low carb ?
Rose Mary George
WOW! This looks super delicious!
And now I want to celebrate every happy moment with fried cheese! These look amazing and I can’t wait to make them!
Haha I’m glad I’m not alone then!
We’ve made these a few times and they are so addicting. Thank you!
Yay! Thank you so much!
Love how easy these are. My kids gobbled them up so fast, next time we’ll be making a double batch!
I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks Aimee!
My husband loved it! He can’t stop eating it!
I’m so glad! Thanks Toni!
These were delicious! My whole family loved them! Thanks!
YAY! So glad to hear that!
I LOVE mozza sticks! I feel like a kid, but love to order them when we go out. Can’t wait to try it at home.
These look soo yummy! I wish Jeff would ever cook something fun for me! ;-)
This recipes is making my mouth water! I am definitely pinning if for later and giving it a try!