Do you want to know how to make mozzarella sticks like a pro? These homemade mozzarella sticks are super easy and delicious!
I’ve mentioned before that my husband served a two year mission in Budapest, Hungary. In his mission it was tradition to make these homemade mozzarella sticks to celebrate when something exceptionally exciting happened. So, every missionary learned how to make them and he has lots of happy memories associated with these little babies!
Since they obviously aren’t the healthiest thing ever, we usually reserve them for special occasions and keep the tradition alive! Lucky for me, he has making these homemade mozzarella sticks down to a science, so I mostly get to sit back and enjoy! Today, I wanna share the secrets of how to make the perfect homemade mozzarella sticks with all of you lovelies!
How to make mozzarella sticks:
Following the recipe you will find a process video and step by step photos so you can see for yourself how truly easy it is to make your own mozzarella sticks!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese
- italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbs milk
- 4-5 cups vegetable oil enough to fill a saucepan about half full
- pizza or marinara sauce for dipping if desired
- Cut mozzarella cheese into sticks about 1/4 inch thick.
- Crack your eggs into a bowl. Add milk and beat well to create an egg wash.
- Prepare your work station with a bowl of water, a bowl of flour, your egg wash and a bowl of bread crumbs.
- Take a mozzarella stick and dip it in the water. Then dip it in the flour bowl and make sure it's covered thoroughly. Put your floured stick into the egg wash and make sure its coated nicely. Roll your stick in the bread crumbs.
- Put your oil in your saucepan and heat until 350 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer a good way to know if the oil is ready is to drop a toothpick into the oil should bubble or "fry" around the toothpick.
- Leave stick in for 1-2 minutes, watch closely to ensure they are golden brown but not burned.
- Remove stick and set on a paper towel covered plate to help the excess grease drain off.
- Repeat process for remaining cheese sticks and enjoy!
First cut your mozzarella into sticks!
Then get out all your supplies!
First dip your mozzarella stick into the water, then into the flour.
After it is coated in flour, dip into the egg wash, then the bread crumbs!
Fry your stick for one to two minutes, until golden brown but not burned! Let sticks cool for a minute or two and enjoy promptly with marinara sauce!
What are mozzarella sticks made of?
Mozzarella sticks are made of mozzarella cheese cut into strips, breaded and fried!
What sauce do you dip mozzarella sticks in?
We love to dip our mozzarella sticks in our favorite marinara sauce! That being said, pizza sauce and ranch dip are also yummy sauces to dip mozzarella sticks into!
Mmmm! They really are pretty simple, and your family and friends will love them! So.. what do you have to celebrate??
Shop this Post:
This table contains affiliate links.
This post was originally published on May 28th, 2014 and has been updated!