You guys. Please stop everything and put this on your list of things-to-make-and-eat-ASAP. I mean. It’s quiche and hash browns combined into one delicious dish! Your taste buds will sing with the first bite of this. It’s actually really easy to make, and cheap too, but you can serve it on special occasions if you want because it seems fancy! I am planning to make this for Mother’s Day brunch this year, speaking of which, I am so excited to actually be with my mom this year! Living far away from her makes it hard for me to express my love through food…
The players. I happen to think that having good cheese is important for this. Tillamook, anyone? Also, I tried applewood smoked bacon for the first time when I made this and I’m hooked.
- 4 Cups Frozen Shredded Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Butter
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1/2 small Onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- Spinach to taste
- 3/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Thaw frozen potatoes and squeeze as much moisture out of them as possible. (This is easiest if you lay them across a layer of paper towels to thaw!)
- Sautee Bacon, Onion and Garlic together in butter until bacon is starting to brown (but not crispy) and onions are clear. Set aside.
- Shred Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Grease a 9" quiche dish with butter
- Add potatoes, butter and salt to a bowl and mix well.
- Pour potato mixture into the quiche dish and press across the bottom and sides with your hands or a spatula.
- Spray the mixture with oil spray. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Add eggs, milk, cream, salt, and cinnamon to a bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- When the crust is baked, switch the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the crust layer with bacon, onion and garlic mixture. Next, sprinkle a layer of cheese. Throw in a handful of spinach. Pour egg mixture over all of that and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
See? Pretty easy! I really think this is going to be your new favorite breakfast or brunch recipe. I know it’s mine. So… breakfast for dinner tonight?