Baked Chicken and Vegetable Chimichangas will spice up Mexican night in your house! Your family will love this delicious combination of chicken, veggies, and cheese, baked into a crunchy flour tortilla!
Hi everyone! Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a delicious new Mexican night recipe. Chimichangas are one of my favorite things to order at a Mexican restaurant and I have recreated one of my favorite veggie filled versions to have at home! The addition of veggies and and baking these make them a little healthier than the restaurant version, too! That leaves more calories for chips and salsa, right?!
My daughter started kindergarten this year and I went back to work full time, so weeknights aren’t what they used to be. I now have so much less time to make dinner and have to have a plan by 4 pm of what I am going to make! I am not the best meal planner, so I love having go to recipes that I know will never fail us. Chimichangas are a great go to, because everyone loves them and the possibilities are endless. Use whatever veggies you have in your fridge! Our garden is producing lots of zucchini, so they are the perfect veggie filler for this recipe.
I never get sick of recreating my favorite restaurant dishes, and I think I hit it out of the park with this healthier remake of my beloved chimichangas at our local Mexican place! I also didn’t feel guilty eating these, which is always a plus! These truly get really crispy in the oven! You won’t miss the fried shell at all…the secret is a high oven temp and cooking spray. The tortillas crisp up so nicely and turn golden brown. Top them with your favorite condiments and you are good to go! I love tangy sour cream and spicy guacamole on mine! Serve these with my favorite Mexican side dish, Cheesy Corn and Green Chile Rice and you have a super impressive Mexican inspired meal!
Baked Chicken and Vegetable Chimichangas
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 banana peppers diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, add zucchini and banana peppers. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add chicken, corn, and tomatoes to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until heated through. Add the seasonings and the salsa and stir well. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. of chicken mixture onto each tortilla and top with a big spoonful of cheese. Roll in ends of tortilla and roll up tightly. Place on cooking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.