Everyone loves this sticky, salty, sweet Chex mix recipe that is absolutely delicious! Your friends and family will be fighting over the bowl!
You know those snacks that once you take a bite of them, you literally can’t stop shoving more of it into your face? I’m sorry not sorry, but this Sweet Chex Mix is that. It’s one of the most deliciously addictive treats you’ll ever taste. You should also try our more savory Homemade Chex Mix , Chex Scotcheroos, or these amazing Golden Grahams S’mores Bars. You can check out all of our desserts here!
Sweet Chex Mix
My friend’s mom used to always make this treat for us if we had a movie night or a sleepover. In their house it was called GORP, and, wow, did we love it. We could take down an entire bowl of this in an hour! I have also heard this sweet Chex mix called Gooey Chex Mix, or “Christmas Crack” – I really don’t like that name though.
Why is it called GORP?
After doing some research, I learned that GORP is actually an acronym for ‘Good Old Raisins and Peanuts’ and is a nickname for trail mix. I call this sweet snack GORP, but I have come to realize that most people have a different name for it.
Call it what you want, this will always be GORP to me. It’s sweet, sticky, gooey, really easy to make, takes only 5 minutes and you can totally make it your own with add-ins of your choice!
How to make Sweet Chex Mix:
- Chex cereal
- Slivered Almonds
- Shredded Coconut
- Light Corn Syrup
Other mix-in ideas:
- Golden Grahams cereal
- Pretzel Sticks
Pour Chex cereal, slivered almonds, cashews, and shredded coconut into a large mixing bowl.
Next, you’ll make the caramel mixture that makes this Sweet Chex Mix SO GOOD!
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sugar and light corn syrup. Stir until dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and stir often.
- Pour caramel mixture over the Chex mix and stir until combined.
Lay wax paper onto a cookie sheet and pour the sticky sweet chex mix out of the bowl onto the wax paper. Spread the mixture out into a single layer and let it cool completely.
Once the Sweet Chex mix is fully cooled, you can dig in! I like to keep it in a large bowl that has a lid.
Make sure to try this recipe out soon! I predict it will be a big hit with your family and friends and will be devoured at holiday parties.
Are you making this Sweet Chex Mix recipe? We’d love it if you’d leave us a comment and a positive review! They mean a lot to us!
Sweet Chex Mix
- Rubber spatula
- Parchment or wax paper
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Lay out wax paper on your counter or on cookie sheets, set aside.
- Add 12 oz. cereal to a large bowl and mix.
- Add shredded coconut, slivered almonds, cashews, and any other add-ins to the bowl and mix well.
- Add butter, sugar, and corn syrup to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Pour the caramel mixture into the bowl and mix everything well.
- Pour sweet chex mix onto wax paper in a single layer and let Chex mix cool completely.
- Serve Sweet Chex Mix in a large serving bowl, or in individual plastic bags. Cover tightly and store at room temperature.