How to make a slushie just like they make at Sonic! Our favorite Sonic Slush has pop rocks on top. This cool summer slushie recipe gives you bursts flavor in every sip!
When it’s hot outside, we crave COLD, icy drinks! If there is one treat I love more than anything during summer time (or really any time) it’s Sonic slushes.
I’ve been making my own slushes at home for a few years now and they are much more affordable, and use a whole lot less sugar. Some of our favorites are this Low-Cal Strawberry Slush and our Skinny Piña Colada Slush, That doesn’t mean we don’t go get the real thing from Sonic every now and again, but making them at home is so fun!
Did you know?
Sonic slushes have 5 pounds of sugar for every gallon of water they use to make them.
Learning how to make a slushie at home is a better choice for both your budget and your health!
On one of our most recent trips my husband saw that they can add Pop Rocks to a slush. He loves Pop Rocks so he gave it a try. Oh boy let me tell you; those Pop Rocks really added a ton of zing to the drinks! They were so good!
*This post contains affiliate links.
- Kool Aid Packet
- Club Soda
- Pop Rocks
Who has Pop Rocks in-store?
Pop Rocks can be elusive! After a lot of searching I found Pop Rocks at Dollar Tree and have also seen them at Party City. They are also on Amazon. For some reason, I don’t see them at most grocery stores.
How to Make a Slushie at Home
- Crush ice in a blender.
- In a separate bowl or pitcher combine sugar, kool aid packet and 1 cup club soda.
- Add kool aid mixture to blender and purée.
- Add half packet of Pop Rocks and 1 more cup club soda and blend for 5 seconds.
- Pour into cups and top with remaining Pop Rocks.
You will want a good blender to make slushes with. We love our Blendtec blender so much, we use it every day!
I will warn you when making these be prepared to get popped in the face, arm, neck and more a few times. As soon as the Pop Rocks hit the slush they pop and candy and drink go everywhere! My boys love watching me make these almost as much as they love drinking them.
Flavors to try:
You can use any flavor Kool-Aid you like. Our favorites are Blue Fruit Punch and Watermelon. The Watermelon tastes just like a Watermelon Jolly Rancher!
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, we would love for you to come back and leave us a review!
Copy Cat Sonic Slush with Pop Rocks
- 1 tray ice about 16-18 ice cubes from an ice maker or store bought
- 1 packet Kool-Aid
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups club soda
- 1 packet Pop Rocks
- Crush ice in a blender and set aside.
- In blender jar add Kool-Aid, sugar and 1 cup club soda. Puree for 15 seconds.
- Add crushed ice and half packet of Pop Rocks to blender jar and blend for another 10 seconds.
- Add remaining cup of club soda and blend for 5 seconds.
- Pour in cups and top with remaining Pop Rocks
Recipe by Sydney from Tastefully Frugal
They are so quick and easy to make, they are the perfect drink for summer parties or family reunions too. What flavor would you like to try first?
This recipe was originally published in June 2016 and has been updated with new photos and more detailed information.