Comfort food is what everyone wants right now as we head into winter. This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is just the thing!
Hey people! It’s Mandy from Mandy’s Recipe Box. We just got our first snow of the season last week and I was not ready for it. My car was buried and it seems like everyone forgets how to drive when snow comes. All I wanted to do was stay home and watch Gilmore Girls (!!!) and eat this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
Our Latest Videos
Be sure to stock up on boneless skinless chicken breasts when they’re on sale and freeze them. It makes life so much easier to have them on hand. Once you cook the chicken and cut it up, this soup is ready in about 30 minutes. It’s so creamy and flavorful. The trick is to use a box of long grain and wild rice mix like Zatarain’s. It’s a great short cut and makes it taste so good.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk divided
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded or diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 7- ounce box of Long Grain and Wild Rice with seasoning I used Zatarains
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Allow them to simmer for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic cloves, chicken stock, water, and 1 cup of milk to the mixture and stir.
- Add the dried oregano, bay leaf, and chicken. Stir until combined. Allow the soup to simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk with the ½ cup flour until smooth. Place into the soup mixture and stir until combined.
- Place the long grain and wild rice with seasoning into the soup and mix until combined. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Try these recipes, too!