This creamy slow cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is my literal favorite dinner. It's easy, delicious, and even the leftovers are divine!
Do you like Indian food? I LOVE IT and crave it often. A few years ago I found out that my favorite dish, Chicken Tikka Masala could easily be made at home in the slow cooker. That blew my mind because I guess I assumed that something so rich and tasty would not be simple.
Amazingly it actually is VERY easy. Once you put all of the spices and chicken into the slow cooker, you just let it simmer in there all day!
*This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
I've tried a lot of recipes for making Chicken Tikka Masala in a crockpot and I have to say that while they have all been good, many of them aren't creamy enough, and are too tomato-y. This recipe has a taste and texture just like what they serve at my favorite Indian restaurant, and I declare it a winner of a recipe.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Chicken Thighs
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Tomato Puree
- Olive Oil
- Half and Half
- Garam Masala
- Cayenne Pepper
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
- Place cubed chicken into the slow-cooker bowl.
- Next, add onion and garlic.
- Add tomato puree, yogurt, olive oil, garam masala, tumeric, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne to slow-cooker and mix well. Add bay leaves. Cook on high for 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes, mix cornstarch and half-and-half and add them to the slow cooker, cover again for the remaining time.
I like to serve Chicken Tikka Masala with basmati rice if, but sometimes I use regular white rice - whatever is on hand. I also buy Naan at the grocery store rather than make it. However you serve this, it will be one of your go-to Indian chicken recipes after you try it. It's SO good.
Before we get to the recipe let's answer a few frequently asked questions.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
Does this recipe work in the instant pot?! Yes! Add all ingredients except the half and half and cornstarch to the instant pot. Cook on manual/meat for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release, open, then add half and half and cornstarch mixture. Serve over rice.
Here is our favorite instant pot!
What if I can't find Garam Masala?
How spicy is this recipe?
Not very spicy. However, if you have picky eaters or like less spice or more mild flavors generally, omit the cayenne pepper.
What do I serve with Chicken Tikka Masala?
We typically serve our Tikka Masala with rice, naan bread, and edamame!
If you make this recipe and love it we'd love for you to leave a positive comment and review, they mean so much to us.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Add onion, garlic, tomato puree, yogurt, olive oil, garam masala, tumeric, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne and salt to slow cooker and mix well.
- Add cubed chicken thighs and toss to coat.
- Add bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high.
- During the last 20 minutes, stir half and half and cornstarch together, then add to the slow cooker. Cover and finish cooking.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice and garnish with cilantro!
- If you love slow cooker meals but hate cleaning up, try using a slow cooker liner!
- If you don't have garam masala, you can substitute 2 tablespoon Garam Masala for 2 tablespoon Tikka paste. I've tried it both ways and both give off delicious flavor!
- No basmati rice? Sub for white long-grain rice .
I hope you love it as much as we do!
This post was originally published in July 2018, and has been updated with new photos, recipe improvements, and more detailed information.