Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag is SO easy, you only need 3 ingredients and less than 20 minutes to make it! Just mix, shake and enjoy!
If you have never made Ice Cream in a Bag before, you are in for a serious treat! It is easy, fun and delicious. I have fond memories of making this as a kid, and now it is a joy to make it with my little family every summer.
Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag takes 20 minutes to make. We love to make this when we go camping, on a picnic, for kids birthday parties, and family reunions! It doesn’t have to be a special occasion though, it also makes a great boredom buster any day of the week. Need more ideas? Browse all of our Kids Activities.
This recipe is for Vanilla Ice Cream, but you can easily add flavor mix-ins! Everyone can make their own, ends up with just the right serving size. Oh, and did I mention that you don’t even have to do any dishes? Mom heaven! I can promise you won’t regret trying Ice Cream in a Bag this summer!
Also, our homemade blackberry ice cream is also a fan favorite, if you want another flavor idea.
*This post contains affiliate links.
What You Need:
- Half & Half
- Vanilla Extract
- Paper Towels
- Cups or Bowls
How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Place a small ziploc bag into a cup or glass, folding the edges over so that you can easily pour into it.
- Pour half and half, sugar and vanilla extract into the bag.
- Add any flavor mix-ins you want. I love cookies and cream so I added crushed Oreos to mine.
- Squeeze out extra air and seal the ziplock bag. Put that bag inside another ziplock of the same size and remove air and seal that too.
- Add ice and ice cream salt to the large ziplock bag.
- Place the little bags into the big bag of ice and salt and then seal it.
- Shake for 15 minutes.
- All finished! You can eat it straight out of the bag, or put it into bowls and add toppings!
- Double bag the ice cream mixture before you shake. You don’t want any leaking!
- Since our kids are little we like to incorporate games into the shaking process so they don’t get bored with it after about thirty seconds! Some great ones to try are hot potato, tag, or our personal favorite option… have a dance party!
- If kids hands are too cold while shaking it, you can wrap the bag in paper towels, or you can use hot pads or winter gloves.
If you try this recipe, we’d love if you would comment and leave us a positive review! They mean a lot!
Ice Cream in a Bag
- Sandwich Sized Ziploc Bags
- Gallon Ziploc Bags
- Paper Towels
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Cups Ice
- 1/3 Cup Ice Cream Salt
- Pour half and half, vanilla and sugar into a sandwich sized Ziploc bag.
- Optional: Put additional flavors or mix-ins, like chocolate syrup or crushed oreo cookies, into the bag and mix well.
- Eliminate as much air as possible before sealing tightly.
- After sealing, place that inside a second sandwich sized ziplock (we don't want any leaking) and seal tightly.
- Add ice and rock salt to the gallon sized bag, then add the sandwich bags of ice cream mixture.
- Remove air and seal the large bag.
- Squeeze and shake the bag until ice cream forms.
- For a thick milkshake consistency, shake 10 minutes. For a harder ice cream, shake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the filled bag from other bags and enjoy!