We are so excited to be a part of Kimberly Clark’s #celebratefamilyvalues campaign this summer! Family is so important to us here at Pretty Providence and we can’t wait to share some of our best ideas and activities with you guys over the next 8 weeks. We hope you love them as much as we do! Today I’m gonna kick things off with one of my family’s favorite activities that doubles as a yummy treat: fun and easy ice cream in a bag!
Okay, if you have never made ice cream in a bag before you are in for a serious treat! It is so easy, so fun and so delicious! I have such fond memories of making this as a kid, and it has been such a fun tradition to start with my own little ones! This is a great treat to take camping, on a picnic, or for a family night activity or a child’s birthday party! It is perfect because everyone can pick their own flavor, and ends up with just the right serving size. Oh, and did I mention that you don’t even have to dirty a dish? Mom heaven! I can promise you won’t regret trying this recipe out with your loved ones this summer!
Okay let’s get to the recipe and tutorial, shall we?
Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 sandwich sized ziploc bags
- 1 gallon size ziplock bag
- 3 cups crushed ice
- 1/3 cup rock salt
- paper towels
- plastic spoons
- Put your first three ingredients and any additional topping in your sandwich sized ziplock bag. Eliminate as much air as possible, and seal tightly.
- Once bag is sealed, place inside the second sandwich sized ziplock (we don't want any leaking) and seal tightly.
- Add ice and rock salt to the gallon sized bag, then add the sandwich bags of ice cream mixture.
- Remove air and seal the large bag.
- Squeeze and shake the bag until ice cream forms.
- For a thick milkshake consistency, shake 10 minutes. For a harder ice cream, shake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the filled bag from other bags and enjoy!
How about a picture tutorial of the whole process? The photos above are of our strawberry variation, and the pictures below are of the cookies and cream option! All the ingredients in the little baggy ready to go! These paper towels are seriously the best. I am in love with them. Thank goodness for Pick Up the Values website because you can get amazing deals that make quality brands as cheap as generic ones! If you haven’t signed up yet, do it now! Little bag in big bag, all ready to go! Since our kids are little we like to incorporate games into the shaking process so they don’t get bored with it after about thirty seconds! Some great ones to try are hot potato, tag, or our personal favorite option… have a dance party! As you can imagine, shaking a bag of ice for ten minutes can get pretty cold! For older kids you can just wrap the bag in your paper towels, but for younger kids we like to use hot pads or winter gloves! All finished! Mmmmm. All that’s left to do is enjoy! I can promise you that we did! Haha.