I have been getting my pumpkin treat on lately. I can’t help myself. Judging from my Pinterest feed neither can anyone else so I don’t feel too bad. Just this month I’ve made this Pumpkin Dump Cake and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars and now, these Pumpkin Swirl Brownies. These pumpkin brownies are one of my VERY favorite desserts to make in the fall, they always hit the spot.
*This post contains affiliate links.
How to make Pumpkin Brownies:
I usually use a brownie mix and spiced it up to get my pumpkin fix in a brownie. You can also make this amazing, easy brownie recipe if you want to do it from scratch.
Ingredients for Brownie Batter:
- Brownie Mix
Ingredients for Pumpkin Batter:
- Baking Powder
- Pumpkin Purée
Prepare brownie mix according to box directions. (Photo 1)
In second bowl: beat vanilla, sugar and eggs with a hand mixer for 1 minute or until mixed well. (Photo 2)
In third bowl: mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Pour into bowl two and beat together until mixed well. Now add pumpkin, oil and cinnamon. Beat until mixed. (Photos 3 and 4)
Pour half of chocolate mix into the bottom of your 9×13 pan. Next, pour half of pumpkin mixture on top of that. Repeat both.
Use a rubber spatula to swirl the brownie and pumpkin batters around until it looks something like this.
Bake for 35-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Now enjoy the delectable swirled goodness of pumpkin brownies!
Pumpkin Brownie Pro Tips:
Most of the time when I make these brownies, I make them in a square 9×9 pan for about 40-45 minutes. They come out thick. They are cake-like. The picture on the left shows what they look like using this method.
If you prefer a gooey brownie, you can cook them through but slightly less (35-40 minutes) and they will look more like the brownies on the right. Those were cooked in a 9×13 dish, which is why they also look thinner.
- 1 box brownie mix family size
- 2 eggs
- oil amt. on box directions
- water amt. on box directions
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 C oil
- 1 1/4 C pumpkin pureé
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Grease a 9x13 pan and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Take out three medium sized bowls for mixing.
- Prepare brownie mix according to box directions.
- In second bowl: beat vanilla, sugar and eggs with a hand mixer until mixed well (1-2 minutes.)
- In third bowl: mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Pour into bowl two and beat together until mixed well. Now add pumpkin, oil and cinnamon. Beat until mixed.
- Pour half of chocolate mix into the bottom of your 9×13 pan. Next, pour half of pumpkin mixture on top of that. Repeat both.
- Swirl with a small spatula or butter knife until you get a marbled look.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
This post was originally published in October 2012 and has been updated with new photos and more detailed information.