These Birthday Cake Donuts are the perfect treat for celebrating birthdays or anything else that needs celebrating! They are so fun and festive and everyone will love them.
Hello Pretty Providence readers! It’s Mandy from Mandy’s Recipe Box and I’m taking over the celebrations today for Pretty Providence’s birthday week. I have some fun Birthday Cake Donuts and you can’t help but smile when you see them. They’re just so fun and happy! Because sprinkles.
There are sprinkles everywhere in these donuts. And yes, I spell it donuts rather than doughnuts. It’s allowed. You know what else is allowed? Eating mulitple donuts on your birthday or for any meal during your birthday. And since this is Pretty Providence’s 3rd birthday, Jessica and Sarah should each eat at least 3 right? So Happy Birthday, Pretty Providence and eat some donuts!
- Birthday Cake Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- extra sprinkles to sprinkle on top optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- For the donuts:
- Mix together the milk, sour cream, and egg together until smooth.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and sugar. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the sprinkles gently so they won't bleed.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan. It is easiest if you use a large zipped-top bag and cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 3 ∕ 4 of the way full.
- Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from pan and allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing. The glaze sets easier onto cooled donuts.
- For the glaze:
- Mix together the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth.
- Remove from heat and quickly begin dipping the donuts, one by one, into the glaze. Place each donut on a wire rack over a baking sheet to catch the glaze drippings. Take each donut and dunk again if you have enough glaze leftover. Sprinkle with additional sprinkles.
Check out these other donut recipes!