Hi everyone, this is Lauren visiting again from Tastes Better From Scratch!
Can you believe it’s almost July? I’m getting excited for the Fourth–one of my favorite holidays! And what’s the Fourth of July without an awesome barbecue and tons of yummy treats, right?! When I’m bringing treats to a barbecue I usually like to bring one of my favorite cookies or brownies. They feed a lot of people, they’re easy to make, they travel easily, and if you’ve got a great recipe, they’re always a huge hit! We LOVE These Cherry Chocolate Sandwich cookies in our house. Well, we basically love any type of cherry-chocolate combination!
Do you like homemade oreos? That’s where the inspiration for this recipe came from! The chocolate cookies for this recipe can be made from scratch, or from a cake mix. Then, take two cookies and fill them with this delicious cherry frosting and you’ll be hooked!
Cherry Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1 batch of chocolate cookies see recipe link in notes
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup drained and chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice from jar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter until smooth. Alternately add the powdered sugar, cherry juice and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Fold in the chopped cherries and add more powdered sugar or cherry juice as needed to reach desired frosting consistency.
- Place a dollop of frosting in between two chocolate cookies. Repeat with remaining chocolate cookies
- Store in an airtight container.
Thanks for letting me visit, Pretty Providence readers! I hope you’ll stop by Tastes Better From Scratch soon, or follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter to keep updated on yummy, tried and tested recipes from my kitchen!
Looking for more cookie/bar recipes? Check out some of my other favorites:
Creamy Lemon Crumb Bars