This avocado toast with egg (AKA grated egg toast) is the best avocado toast recipe ever! It’s a quick, wholesome meal with incredible flavor!
Here it is, the best avocado toast recipe ever! At least, in my humble opinion. Have you ever tried avocado toast with egg? I have tried it with eggs cooked all different ways – scrambled, over-easy, and poached but my favorite is to grate a hard-boiled egg on top! The texture is perfect and the flavor too.
We aren’t messing around with lame toast around here. We’re going to use good ingredients, the best bread, and a topping combo that will make you want to run and tell everyone about it. If you want to check out more wholesome recipes, you should try our Buffalo Chicken Bowls, Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins, or our Strawberry Smoothie Bowl. See our breakfast page for even more ideas.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Avocado Toast with Egg
- sourdough bread (more info on this below)
- mayonnaise (you can also substitute with butter or oil)
- hard-boiled egg
- hot honey (can substitute regular honey)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
You might be wondering about this combination of ingredients. Honey? on top of avocado and hard-boiled egg? Yes. Just trust me. It’s not too sweet- it adds a little sweetness and spiciness to add complexity, making this toast absolutely to die for.
Are you wondering “What is hot honey?”
Hot honey is honey infused with chili peppers to give it a kick. Some are spicier than others. The kind I use, Mike’s Hot Honey, is not very spicy but just enough of a kick to make your food more interesting. It’s amazing on avocado toast, fried chicken, biscuits, breakfast sandwiches, charcuterie, pizza… basically, everything I’ve tried it with so far!
I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for a while now, but I am just now getting around to it. I did make an instagram reel and tik tok of the recipe last year though when I first tried it.
The Best Bread for Avocado Toast
You want good, solid bread for Avocado toast. Sourdough bread is the best bread for Avocado toast because it is dense enough to hold the weight of the avocado and other good stuff you’ll put on top of it, but still it still has a soft texture and delicious taste. Sourdough flavor compliments avocado so well!
Other good options would be a French loaf, pumpernickel, whole wheat, multigrain, or thick, homemade white bread.
A flimsy store-bought white bread just doesn’t work for this, it essentially disintegrates under the toppings.
You also want to toast the bread until it’s fairly golden and firm. Making your toast on a pan allows you a little more control over the toasting. You can use a regular toaster, but I prefer to do it this way.
How to Toast Bread for Avocado Toast
Spread mayonnaise* thinly on each side of a slice of bread. Put the bread onto a flat frying pan or griddle and toast until golden brown. Flip, and repeat so that both sides are equally crispy and toasted.
This is actually my crepe pan but it works perfectly for toasting since the heat is evenly distributed!
*You can substitute the mayonnaise for butter, olive oil, avocado oil, or other similar oils instead.
Grated Egg Avocado Toast
- Spread mayonnaise* thinly on each side of a slice of bread. Put the bread onto a flat frying pan or griddle and toast until golden brown. Flip, and repeat so that both sides are equally crispy and toasted. (See the section above for more information.)
- Mash avocado in a bowl, and add juice from half a lime and salt to taste.
- Spread the avocado mixture onto toast. Drizzle hot honey over the top of it.
- Grate hard-boiled egg onto the toast. Sprinkle red pepper flakes to taste. Add a little more hot honey on top, if you want to.
Mmm. Chef’s kiss!
If you make this avocado toast with egg recipe, please leave us a comment and a positive review! They mean a lot to us.
Avocado Toast with Egg
- 1 Frying pan or Toaster
- Cheese Grater
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 large avocado ripe
- 0.5 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 Tbsp Hot Honey
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Spread a very light layer of mayonnaise on each side of sourdough bread.
- Put the bread on a frying pan to toast and flip after 2 or 3 minutes (when the first side is toasted.)
- Mash avocado and add juice from half a lime and kosher salt to taste.
- Spread the avocado mixture onto slices of toast.
- Drizzle hot honey over the avocado mixture.
- Grate hard-boiled egg onto the pieces avocado toast.
- Sprinkle the toast with red pepper flakes to taste. (optional)
- Drizzle a little bit more hot honey over the top of the toast.
Made this tonight!! Soooo freaking yummy!
So glad you liked it!
I had fun making this avocado toast! Kids love the grated eggs on top! So delicious and filling!
My kiddos love it too!
I loved the addition of grated egg to my avocado toast. I’ll make this for breakfast when I’m short on time and need something that will last until lunch. Thanks for the idea!
It has all the good stuff to keep you satisfied for a while, one of the best things about it!
I dont think ive ever tried grated egg on my avocado toast, but this is an amazing recipe and I cannot thank you enough for sharing this dish!
You’re welcome! It’s life-changing!
Yum!! This will be a staple over here!
I’m so glad you liked it!