This BBQ Chicken Salad recipe is a family favorite! It’s easy to throw together and super healthy, with lots of romaine lettuce, chicken, black beans and a BBQ ranch dressing that everyone will love!
I’m about to share one of my favorite meals with you today. This BBQ Chicken Salad has been a staple in the dinner rotation at my house for a few years. I actually got this recipe from my dear friend Courtney a few years ago, so she is to thank for this favorite dinner of mine. It’s quick, easy, inexpensive, delicious, and healthy. What more could you want in a recipe? We like to make this on busy nights because it honestly takes 30 minutes to throw together, with very little effort. It’s also a great way to use leftover chicken you might have, and then the prep time is cut down to ten minutes! Score.
I am actually not a ‘salad’ person, but this BBQ ranch deliciousness is an exception to the rule. One of the best things about it is that it’s hearty – with lots of protein and healthy fats, you will be full after eating this!
The secret to making an amazing salad:
I read an article once about how to make a great salad. It said that every green salad should have these elements: greens, something warm, something cold, great dressing, and something with crunch!
This BBQ Chicken salad has:
Greens – Romaine Lettuce
Something warm – BBQ Chicken
Something cold – Lettuce, Beans, Corn, Avocado
Dressing – BBQ Ranch Dressing made with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce and your favorite Ranch dressing
Something crunchy – Tortilla strips or Crispy Fried Onions (you could even just throw on some crushed up tortilla chips if you were in a pinch!)
Isn’t it pretty? It’s great for when you have friends over too, because it doesn’t break the bank to feed a group! We’ve served this at a baby shower before and everyone LOVED it.
How to make BBQ Chicken Salad:
- 1 Head or Package Romaine Lettuce Chopped
- 1-3 Chicken Breasts Marinated in BBQ Sauce & Diced or Shredded
- 1 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 Cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 Avocado Diced
- 1/2 Can Black Beans
- 1/2 Can Sweet Corn
- 1 Diced Roma Tomato
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Handful of French Fried Onions optional
- Handful of Tortilla Strips optional
- Cover chicken breasts in BBQ Sauce and bake until cooked through. The timing on this depends on the size of your chicken but for me it's 25 minutes at 375. If you're using pre-cooked chicken, chop it up, cover in BBQ sauce and let it chill in the fridge while you prepare everything else.
- Mix ranch dressing and bbq sauce in a bowl or mason jar, place in fridge until it's time to eat.
- Dice up your lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Drain and rinse corn and beans. Grate Mozzarella.
Layer all the veggies on top of the lettuce. Add chicken when it's ready. Top with french fried onions or tortilla strips, cheese and BBQ ranch dressing. Enjoy!
This recipe will make two or three big adult-sized servings.
Some of my FAVE kitchen items: (affiliate links)
If you want to pin this for later…