I am so excited for Halloween this year! Ever since I had kids my excitement for the holidays has increased, but this year I’m even more thrilled because I’ll have a brand new baby girl to dress up and “Ooh” and “Aah” over. If you ask my boys what their favorite part of Halloween is they would say dressing up and going to get candy. While I do love seeing them all decked out in their Star Wars or TMNT outfits I’d have to say my favorite part of Halloween (and every holiday really) is all the fun treats I get to make. And these rice krispie treats may just be my favorite treat yet! I mean come on; how can you go wrong with rice krispie treats, am I right?!
These Frankenstein treats are just a little bit spooky and a whole lot of fun! They are super easy to make and a great treat for playgroups, class parties or just because. The nice thing about these little guys is you don’t have to have a steady hand or dip the treats perfectly into the chocolate to have them turn out cute. A little extra chocolate here or frosting there adds that much more character to these monstrous treats! It’s also a great recipe to let the kids help make. I’ve made these 3 times now and I let my boys help me with everything except melting the marshmallows and butter (they are still a little young to be using the stove).
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Cups Mini Marshmallows + handful of extras for his screws
- 6 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- Green Food Coloring I like to use Wilton Gel
- Black Melting Chocolate
- Black Frosting you can use leftover melted chocolate or get a frosting pen from Walmart or any baking store for less than $2
- Candy Eyes
- Silver Color Mist an edible spray paint for food also found at Walmart or any baking store
Melt butter and marshmallows together in a saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly.
Once all lumps are gone, remove from heat and stir in green food coloring.
When marshmallow/butter mix is green to your liking stir in rice krispie cereal.
Pour cereal/marshmallow mix into a greased 9x13 dish and spread out evenly.
Let set in fridge for 30 minutes.
Remove from fridge and cut into rectangles. Place on wax paper.
In a microwave safe bowl melt half a bag of the melting chocolates in 30 second increments stirring in between. Continue to cook and stir until chocolate is smooth.
Dip one of the smaller ends of the treat into chocolate about 1" down.
Return to wax paper and let harden (2-3 minutes).
Repeat with remaining treats.
Using the black frosting as glue attach candy eyes just below chocolate "hair".
Use the black frosting to draw mouth under eyes.
Spray marshmallows (2 per treat) with silver color mist. Let dry for 3-5 minutes.
Using the black frosting again as glue attach silver marshmallows to both sides of the treat.
A couple quick tips when making this recipe:
- I used the recipe for the rice krispie treats on the back of the cereal box. The only thing difference was I melted the butter and marshmallows together at the same time. I’ve found through lots of trial and error that this makes the finished treats more moist and ooey-gooey.
- Start with a very small amount of green food coloring and add more as you need. A little gel food coloring goes a long way
- When using the spray mist be prepared to get messy; my hands looked like I was auditioning for the part of the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz after I was done.
- When finished decorating let set up in the fridge for an extra hour or so. This will help keep the eyes and screws (marshmallows) attached.
Who is your favorite Halloween character or monster? Wouldn’t they look so cute in rice krispie form?!
Wanting more fun Halloween treats? Check out these recipes: